West Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari Warns of ‘Zero Tolerance’ Against Violence After Kolkata Clashes

Kolkata (Gurpreet Singh): West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari on Monday asserted that his government would adopt a “zero tolerance” policy against vandalism and violence carried out under the guise of religious slogans following violent protests in Kolkata’s Park Circus area.
The warning came a day after demonstrations linked to recent bulldozer action in Tiljala turned violent in the minority-dominated locality, leading to clashes between protesters and security personnel.
According to officials, protesters allegedly hurled stones at police personnel during the unrest, injuring several officers and damaging public property and vehicles. Police said the protests were linked to administrative action against illegal structures in the area.
After meeting injured police personnel, Adhikari said six police officers and two CRPF jawans sustained injuries during the violence.
“So far, 40 people have been arrested in connection with the incident,” the Chief Minister said while addressing the media.
Sending a stern message against lawlessness, Adhikari stated that the state government would not hesitate to initiate strict legal action against anyone attacking police personnel or damaging public property.
“People can place their demands and grievances, but stone-pelting while raising religious slogans will not be tolerated. I appeal to people not to indulge in such acts. Do not think the previous government is still there,” he said.
Police have intensified security arrangements in sensitive areas of Kolkata following the clashes. Officials said surveillance and patrolling have also been increased to prevent any further escalation of tension.
An investigation into the incident is currently underway.

By nishuthapar1

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *